Coronation Altar of the Virgin Mary
This altar was originally created in the middle of the 15th century in the rural area around Stralsund.
In 1999 it was set up again as the high altar on the Neo-gothic mensa in the high choir of St. Mary’s church.
In 1878, the Holbein brothers from Berlin renewed and decorated it with lavish ornaments by applying
polychrome techniques of the 19th century. Afterwards it was moved to the cemetery chapel in Semlow.
Between 1992 and 1999, the central shrine and the side wings were restored. While the vivid altar figures are
standing separate from one another, they are clearly connected through the composition of their posture.
In addition to the coronation scene, the altar contains figures of the apostles and saints.